Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

2011 Summer Restaurant Week Dayton – Monday

As part of full disclosure, readers need to know that I have a love/hate relationship with restaurant week. I love it because some restaurants do very creative things. I hate it because people who don’t normally dine out are in restaurants seeking “deals.”

Just before I left work, I checked the list of participating restaurants…I so didn’t want to go home and prepare something for myself. In the fine print, I found that Savona, which is not normally open on Mondays, was open tonight. It occurs to me that maybe they won’t be as crowded if people aren’t expecting them to be open. Adding to Savona’s troubles is that the City of Centerville has major construction going on and you can only reach them if you are south-bound on South Main Street. This all works to MY advantage…and it is all about me.

Savona is only offering a restaurant week menu for $20.11 with an option to chose from 2 additional entrees for $25.11. First course is a salad or onion soup. The Onion Soup was my choice and was very nice. Entrees included Trout with Israeli Cous Cous with spinach and a tomato vinaigrette; Beef Tips with Mashed Potatoes; and something else. The upgrades were a Blackened Salmon or Prime Rib. I chose the Trout while my dinner companion chose the Beef Tips. I WIN!! We both agreed the trout was spectacular! Dessert was a choice of Gelato or a Fresh Berry Shortcake. We both enjoyed the shortcake.

In addition, Savona offered a La Playa Sauvignon Blanc for $4 per glass. It was a nice accompaniment to the meal.

Great start to restaurant week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice. I agree with your comments. While I can't claim to be a "diner," (whatever that means--sounds kind of elitist) I am not one who looks for the "deals" when selecting a restaurant. I want impeccable service and at least creative and tasty food--not something I can prepare at home. PS--I hate the Melting Pot where you have to pay more AND cook your own food!

SNC said...

The 'something else' was a Paella, which I ordered. The seafood was very good, but I was slightly disappointed that the dish was not served in the skillet. The rice was also on the creamy side - not crispy enough for a good Paella rice for my taste. My step-daughter ordered the trout and thought it was wonderful, so she won. We both had the onion soup which was solid but not spectacular, and we loved both desserts.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More