Pages

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Las Canarias (San Antonio) May 3, 2006

Apparently, May in Texas means Dewberries. Huh? What's a dewberry? Well it is apparently native to Central Texas. It has the flavor that balances sweet and tart with "an appealing musky 'wilderness'" while looking a lot like a blackberry. Let me tell you that the Chef at Las Canarias KNOWS what to do with a dewberry!!

I started my meal with a Nicholas Feuillete Brut while I perused the menu. I was sweaty from my walk along the river and needed a nice sparkling to cool me off.

The menu was a tough choice...trying to decide between the dewberry tasting menu and the soft shell crab special. Obviously, you already know that I went with the tasting menu with the wine paring, of course. This was a menu that was NOT for the faint of pocketbook...but, in my opinion, well worth every penny!

So, what did I have???
Carpaccio of Filet Mignon
Dewberries, Micro Greens Salad, Gorgonzola, Walnuts, and Honey Mustard
King Estate, Pinot Gris, Oreson

Sugar Cane Skewereed Achiote Grilled Shrimp
Baby Pea Tendrils and Dewberry-Lemon Emulsion
Rose Dry, Pierre Chainier, Loire Vallye, France

Texas Dewberry and Champagne Granite

Poached Alaskan Halibut
Dewberry Tarragon Couscous, Wilted Arugula-Cucumber and Lemongrass Ginger Carrot Gastrique
Pinot Noir, Jekel Vineyard, Monteray

Chilled Dewberry Soup
Honey and Lavender Parfait
Dewberry Kir

I have to be honest...I didn't want to leave. Although, at first, I was unimpressed with the halibut...when eaten with the gastrique and the couscous...it was perfect. The Pinot Noir was AWESOME! Actually, each of the wines perfectly accompanied the food!!

And you can eat outside overlooking Riverwalk. Definitely, not to be missed on your next trip to San Antonio!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More